Wednesday, November 23, 2005

My Debut...

Ok AN,

I made it here finally!!!! Be proud, my friend...

Khair, so I had a plan and everything about what I was going to post but then I had a very interesting discussion with my supy yesterday and I was telling him this story from Bangladesh(which I forgot about earlier). So, this one time I was at my neighbours house (who couldnt speak much english) and we struggling to have a decent conversation. Basically she just wanted to know what I cooked and what i ate, etc. and then suddenly she said "Do you take 'free showers'??" and I was like, "huh?" and then she whispered it again. So after I asked her what in the world those were, she said "you know, when you take a shower without your clothes on?"!!!! In an attempt to be culturally senstive I tried not to laugh and continued to figure out what it was. Essentially, many people in the more rural areas thought that you shouldn't take a bath with your clothes off b/c the angels that sit on your shoulders will see you naked and that of course, is shameful!!!!! Khair, there were quite a number of folks I met who did not take these 'free showers' ...

The point of this is that it got me thinking even more about the fact that the problem with muslims today (actually ONE of the problems with them today b/c there are many) is this literalism, where people forget the point of the story. I think the deal with the angels is to always remember that God is watching you; I dont literally believe that angels are sitting there. I think people forget the forest and start concentrating on the trees. It's the same thing with praying or hijab or men wearing their shalwars above a certain length and all those other things that cause so much confusion...

Anyhow, so that's what I was thinking of today!!!

1 comment:

Ali Nawab said...

suweet!!!